Saturday, June 12, 2010

Family

My father is visiting from Germany; his name is Fabio (No, that’s not a joke that really is his name.) Our family struggled for many reasons; I won't go into details, which lead to my parents’ divorce. After the divorce I rarely saw my dad, which I always thought of as a good thing. I understood that the separation on my parents was the best for the family. A couple of months ago, around January, it hit me. I missed my dad, and our broken relationship was hurting me in ways that I wasn't even aware of. He came to the U.S to visit in February, and we talked. We really communicated, for the first time in years, this talk was the beginning of the restoration of a bond that had long been broken. I finally felt like I had a father who loved me, and accepted me for who I am. All it took was communication. Communication is essential for any type of relationship, and I am so glad to have finally found that with my dad. He is currently visiting again, like I mentioned earlier, and things are better. He lives thousands of miles away, but we email back and forth and talk when we can. Morale of the story: Don't go through life burning bridges, and carrying the heavy baggage of broken relationships. There is always hope; relationship can be restored with communication and effort. Just try.



2 comments:

  1. Sandy girl, I absolutely agree. I'm so happy for you! I was so thrilled when you told me about this the other day when we were workin' out, I love you so much! Thanks for being my friend, and always working to build bridges, instead of burn them. :) Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a wonderful smart person. I feel really enlightened after reading this post. I really like your blog, that's why I decided to follow it.

    ReplyDelete